TAG: Romance Fails in Fiction
Thank you to Patty @ Moohnshine’s Corner for tagging me in this awesome tag, apologies for being a bit slow to get to it, I needed to think on this for a while! This ingenious tag was the brainchild of Kate @ Melting Pots and Other Calamities. Here are her wise instructions:
Let me explain the tag to clarify the confusing title. Basically, I saw a comment on the Webtoon A Budgie’s Life about…romance fails in Webtoons. They cracked me up, even the serious ones! I may not be a romantic, but I found it funny and decided to do this tag. And that’s how this tag came to be. Who knows? I may make a more serious Webtoon list about this later.
- Please PINGBACK to her at Kate @ Melting Pots and Other Calamities. Or just Kate. And PINGBACK TO A SPECIFIC POST. She won’t see the post otherwise, and she’d like to see it.
- At the very top of this post is the post I did the pingback for – other can copy that to make it easier if you’d like!
- You can choose ten romance fails from ANY media you like: books, movies, anime, manga, T.V shows, or Webtoons. You can even mix them up if you want.
- You can choose funny fails or serious ones; for the serious ones, phrase it humorously. Remember, this is a fun tag! It’s not meant to be serious.
- Mention who’s who in the fails. (I.E, who fails and who is the recipient of the failure). If there isn’t recipient, per se, just state the couple (or non-couple).
- Optional: Rank the failures from least extreme to most extreme.
- 5 failures at LEAST.
- Tag as many people as you want, but at least one person.
Here are my choices for Epic Love Fails
1. Orpheus and Eurydice (Greek Mythology)
This was one of the first one’s I thought of when I saw the tag. I love Mythology especially Greek and Norse and this story has always stuck in my head. Now lets see if I remember it properly or I’ll look like I’m barking! On their wedding night Eurydice is bitten by a snake and whisked away to the underworld, Orpheus rushes after her to try and rescue her, makes a deal with Hades that he won’t look at her until they get back to Greece. Being totally smitten he fails, she gets stuck in the underworld and Orpheus is left a lovesick puppy wandering Greece singing sad sonnets that would make Shakespeare jealous.
2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Oh My! This is the first book that made me realise how destructive love could be. I actually decided at 12 the first time I read this I would never fall in love! haha! Heathcliff was taken in as a young boy by Catherine’s family and they are brought up together and fall deeply in love. All is good until Catherine chooses to marry for status and something Heathcliff breaks and all hell lets loose. There is nothing like the green eyed monster on the moors to turn a love story into something terrifying!
3. Misery by Stephen King
Poor old Annie Wilkes her obsession for her favourite author Paul Sheldon is terrifying in this film but I think deep down she really loved him and just wanted him near her! There really was no hope for her love though, it really was doomed before she got started and her actions really didn’t help this lunatic!
4. Chasing Embers by James Bennett
Ben Garston is a dragon who takes human form, he’s a badass and he has a human girlfriend but when the shit hits the fan and he has to save the world his girlfriend is in the firing line and even Mr Super Dragon can’t save her and the world! *sob*
5. A Criminal Magic by Lee Kelly
Joan and Alex traverse the criminal underworld of twenties America in a world where there’s magic, but something about the way the book pans out means they can’t be together. I have no idea why, I was bereft I tell you they were a beautiful magical couple and poof it was over.
Tag Your It
Amy @ Novel Gossip
Vicki @ Cosy Books
Wendy @ Little Bookness Lane
Amanda @ MyBookishBlogspot
Shannanigan @ Reads & Reels